This is a guest post by Chris Hatcher, who writes about life, technology, and humor for Geeky100.
Almost everyone at my workplace has sticky notes on their monitors. There is one lady whose screen is completely surrounded by a sea of stickies. They are ragged and scattered, and they make her whole desk seem cluttered. As a basis for comparison, my monitor is almost sticky note free, and my desk is clean and professional. I need almost as many daily reminders as the lady with the sticky notes, but I keep long-term notes on my desktop wallpaper.
Desktop Wallpaper Ideas
Desktop wallpaper is underutilized real estate. It’s aesthetic but useless for most users. What if there was useful information there? Here is some ideas:
- Calendars (Check out Smashing Magazine.)
- Cheat sheets
- Often misspell words
- Phone numbers
Tips, Tricks, and Tools
- If you do not have an image editor, I would recommend Paint.NET. It is powerful, intuitive, and free.
- To easily convert documents to an image, press “Alt” and “Print Screen” to copy a screen shot of the application. Then press “Ctrl” and “V” to paste it into your image editor.
- If you are obsessive about quality, print your document to a PDF. If you use PDFCreator, you can save it straight to an image. Otherwise, use PDF-XCHANGE Viewer to export the PDF as an image.
- Put the most important notes on the outside of the screen, so you can see them while working.
Did you guys have any ideas or inspiration? Let me know with a comment.