When it comes to Anti-virus protection for your computer or mobile device, I’m sure you have seen countless offerings in the market. You should choose wisely though a product that is effective in protecting your computer from viruses and malware because this is of utmost importance for protecting your data and privacy.
This is our Recommended Product (With up to 40% OFF)
Avira and Avast are two antivirus software programs that have deliberately changed the game of computer protection.
Both include affordable pricing plans and protective features to help you amp up your security game. However, which one is clearly ahead of the other? To help you make an informed decision, we’re here to find how they compare against each other.
Our basic criteria will be comparing the two software according to the following factors:
- Pricing Plans
- User Interface
- System Resources
Let’s dive right in!
Brief Review of the Avira Antivirus Software:
Avira Antivirus is a pro malware protection software that helps avert any threats to your system’s security. It is quite efficient in detecting threats without any lags to the computer system.
It’s not only capable of detecting file viruses but works when browsing the web as well. When visiting a website that is known to be a threat, the antivirus software blocks it and displays a message to warn you.
This prevents you from visiting websites that have malware hidden in them. Furthermore, it helps protect you from various phishing schemes that try to steal your identity and personal data. Moreover, it provides various useful features such as VPN, Password manager as well as system vulnerability detection.
The Avira Antivirus Software comes with various pricing plans that you can choose from. Each plan includes its own unique features. The main plans, as well as their pricing, are:
|Avira Free Security Suite||Free|
|Avira Antivirus Pro||$44.99 / year|
|Avira Internet Security Suite||$57.99 / year|
|Avira Prime||$99.99 /year|
1. Avira Free:
The Free Security Suite includes very basic features such as malware, spyware, virus and rootkit detection. Also included is a firewall management system as well as a bootable rescue disc. What’s more is that you don’t need to sign up or register with Avira to use it. A limited system optimizer, as well as free VPN, is included as well.
Furthermore, the software offers two browser extensions as well, namely SafeSearch Plus and Safe Shopping. This lets you browse safely while blocking any unsafe or dangerous websites.
2. Avira Pro:
The Pro Suite includes a number of different features including all the features of the free plan. This also includes data and identity protection, email and network protection, premium customer support, firewall control, Device scans, and ransomware protection.
3. Avira Internet Security:
The package simply includes all features of the Pro package and simply adds updated firewall settings.
4. Avira Prime:
The Avira Prime is the ultimate package offered by Avira. It features tools that allow you to tune your PC’s speed to better support the software. It also includes a VPN. But, that’s not all! It also features premium mobile apps that can help you keep your phone safe from malware.
The main unique features of Avira are:
- Avira Phantom VPN: Allows you to use about 500 MB of internet traffic without worrying about identity theft.
- Do Not Track Plus: Blocks ads on the browser and allows anonymity.
- Experts Market: It is a crowdsourced forum for technical support. The Free Plan does not offer technical support, so you can easily ask others in the forum.
- Safe Shopping: Helps you avoid any harmful shopping websites that try to steal your financial information.
- Software Updater: Scans and updates any software automatically in a secure manner.
- Avira System Speedup: Helps you save on CPU processing power so that the system doesn’t lag.
- Password Manager: Save all passwords in a secure manner.
- Connect: Allows you to remotely monitor all your devices.
Avira recently updated their user interface to make it more modern and sleek. The interface includes five tabs on the left side like a Windows Start Menu. You can click on these tabs to access any tool you like. Most users seem to find it hard to access them because of the various layers and elements.
It tends to make things a little complicated. The Device Scan button is almost invisible sitting in one corner of the screen. The overall color scheme is quite light and bright. The green color indicates the status and helps you find whether your system is secure or not.
All in all, the user interface is nice, but it could have been better!
An important aspect to consider is how much system resources the software takes up. The Avira AV, luckily, does not impact too much on the system. In fact, it takes merely 28 seconds to boot up Windows with the Avira installed. This is also the average time it takes for the system without any anti-virus to boot.
Avira requires the following minimum system requirements:
- Windows 7-10
- 2GB RAM
- 2GB Hard Disk Space
- Intel Pentium 4
- Protects your system from all kinds of malware.
- Includes unique features such as Password manager, VPN, etc.
- Lightweight on the system.
- Easy to install and update.
- Includes a Do Not Track feature.
- The system scans slowly.
- Complex User interface.
- Does not work with Internet Explorer
Brief Review of Avast Antivirus Software:
The Avast Software is yet another popular AV option that offers both premium and free plans. It provides you with the best protection for your system and servers. The software also adds a browser certificate to protect your browser thus inspecting your web traffic as well. You can install it on multiple devices as well.
Furthermore, it is easy to set up and install. It effectively and actively blocks any malware and provides all your devices with premium security. The best part about the Avast Software is that its free plan comes with a large number of features to benefit from. This includes a vulnerability scanner to help you detect any weak points in the software.
What’s perhaps the best feature of the software is the Gamer Mode. The software automatically detects when you’re playing games and switches to gamer mode. In this mode, it delays any scans to avoid any unnecessary lags. So, you can enjoy your games in peace. However, this doesn’t mean that the Avast stops working. It still actively protects and blocks any threats or malware.
The Avast system also features various pricing plans, each with their own unique features. These are:
|Avast Free Antivirus||Free|
|Avast Pro Antivirus||$49.99 / year|
|Avast Internet Security||$59.99 / year|
|Avast Premier||$69.99 / year|
|Avast Ultimate||$119.99 / year|
1. Avast Free:
The Avast Free includes many more features than the Avira Software system. It includes the basic anti-malware protection as well as the bootable rescue disc. Apart from that, it features web browsing and email protection, silent gaming mode, router, and network security, a browser clean up option and a password manager. Also included in the free package is a 30-day free trial for the VPN.
2. Avast Pro:
This plan includes everything in the free plan as well as a Sandbox feature that allows you to run and check all suspicious files without harming your computer. The plan also includes a Real Site feature that protects your identity and financial information while shopping.
3. Avast Internet Security:
This features an advanced firewall as well as ransom ware protection.
4. Avast Premier:
The Avast Premier includes all the above features as well as protection from webcam spying and a data shredder option to get rid of sensitive files safely. In addition to this, it also updates any software without any threats.
5. Avast Ultimate:
The Ultimate version includes all the features including a few more such as SecureLine VPN and premium versions of Password Manager and Cleanup.
The main and most unique features of the Avast are:
- SafeZone: Allows you to open a banking website with maximum protection to prevent any phishing scams.
- Deep-Screen: Provides automatic protection from all threats and files.
- Access-Anywhere: Allows you to access your computer from a remote location.
- Remote Assistance: Troubleshoots issues or threats in your computer form a remote location.
- Wi-Fi Inspector: Protects your systems from malware that may enter your system through loopholes in your Wi-Fi and router.
- Avast Passwords: Stores all your passwords and even suggests new passwords for you.
- SecureLine VPN: Helps in anonymous browsing for a safer internet connection.
The software offers a dark interface that looks elegant and sophisticated. It consists of 4 tabs on the left-hand side from which you can access all your required settings. Green indicates everything is well-protected while the red areas signal where the problem is.
Overall, the Avast interface is quite easy to use and is simpler.
Avast is also relatively light on the system as the system boots up within 30 seconds. However, when compared to Avira where there was no delay, Avast is a little slower and just a little bit heavier. The Quick scan on the Avast takes about 2 minutes while the Avira takes about 1 minute.
The minimum system requirements for the Avast are:
- Windows 7 or higher.
- 256 MB RAM.
- Intel Pentium 4 or above.
- 2 GB Hard Disk Space
- Helps protect all your systems including the router and the home network system.
- Includes exclusive features such as Gaming Mode and SafeZone.
- Allows remote access to your computer.
- Easy to install.
- Simple user interface.
- The free plan includes a lot of different features (more than Avira).
- A little slower on the system.
- Does not display threats within the browser. Instead, it uses a pop-up system which can be annoying.
Avast and Avira are both excellent antivirus software so it should come as no shock that they contain various similarities. These are:
- Free Pricing Plan: The main similarity is that both software programs offer a free pricing plan with various exclusive features to help you protect all your systems.
- Premium Protection: Both the software programs include various features which are designed to help protect your computer or mobile from threats.
- VPN: A VPN helps protect your online privacy. Avira and Avast both offer limited VPN in their free versions.
- Password Manager: The password manager feature is included in both the programs. This way you can always save your passwords in a secure location.
- Browser Extensions: Both the programs offer two free browser extensions. Avast offers SafePrice and Online Security extensions whereas Avira offers SafeShopping and SafeSearch Plus extensions.
Although both software protect efficiently your system, they still have their differences. These include:
- User Interface: The Avast interface is simpler and easier to use. On the other hand, Avira’s interface tends to be a little complex and rough-edged.
- System Resources: Avira is a little lighter on the system and does not impact much on the system performance. It even includes features that help prevent system lags. On the other hand, Avast tends to be a bit heavier even though it only uses 256 MB of memory.
- Features in the Free Version: Although both offer a free version, there seems to be a huge difference between the two. Avast’s free version offers more features than Avira.
- Support: Avast offers free support for all its users whereas Avira only offers support for its other plans. However, Avira does offer a tech-forum where you can get support from other users.
- Pricing: When looking at the pricing plans, it is clear that Avast is a tad more expensive. However, it also offers more features so, the pricing might be justified.
This is our Recommended Product (With up to 40% OFF)
All in all, Avast and Avira are two efficient antivirus products which you can use for free or get their paid versions. They provide premium protection to all kinds of systems. Where the Avast is simpler and includes more features, Avira is a little cheaper and lighter on the system. So, which one wins?
In out opinion, the small price difference between Avast and Avira is negligible. I would suggest to buy Avast over Avira as the third-party independent AV tests show this product to be more effective in stopping viruses and malware, and this is the most important aspect for protecting our sensitive data and privacy.
You mentioned that the FREE version of Avira has “some” enhancements to the firewall…..but you do not mention if the FREE version of Avast enhances the standard windows provided firewall features?
Can you confirm that Avast FREE also enhances the firewall features?
Harris Andrea says
John, for AVAST you will need to get the premium paid version for having extra firewall functionality and enhancements.