Moving to a new house or city can be daunting yet exciting at the same time. While the uprooting your life and starting afresh in a whole new neighborhood may not seem so appealing, it’s something to look forward to. And you will have much less to worry about once you’ve sorted out your moving needs.
Many people stress about moving smart home appliances safely. Rest assured, this detailed guide will provide you with all the details you will need to get started.
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need to Move Smart Home Appliances Safely
We don’t recommend you to move heavy smart appliances without being properly prepared. This is highly important if you’re moving something like a heavy smart washing machine. To set you on the right track, we have compiled a list of essentials you will need to get started. Here are a couple of things you will need when moving smart appliances:
Contact your local moving company and ask them if you can rent a furniture dolly. A moving dolly will make transporting and moving heavy appliances a breeze, plus you will save up top dollars from having to call someone. A furniture dolly will work as an indispensable tool for moving heavy items such as large furniture pieces, smart washing machines, electric stoves and much more.
You don’t want your favorite microwave to get busted on the move now, do you? Well, lucky for you, a moving blanket is the best way to protect heavy appliances from accidental hits and bumps on the roads. The blanket will also protect your favorite smart appliances from getting nasty scratches or unwanted dents. If furniture blankets don’t meet your budget, opt for bubble wrap or ordinary blankets that you have around the house.
Before you move appliances around, we recommend you read through all the instruction manuals you have lying around. Each instructional manual will contain the manufacturer’s recommendation about moving items safely.
These straps are required for securing the moving blanket in place.
You can’t plan a move without moving essentials such as cardboard boxes, duct tape and of course, bubble wrap. Stock up on the essentials before you make your big move.
If you’re still not keen on moving heavy appliances, call a professional.
How to Move a Smart Washing Machine
Here are a few tips for moving a smart washing machine:
- First things first, unplug the appliance from the power supply. You must also disconnect all the pipes and hoses that connect the washing machine to the water supply. Ensure the machine is dry and that there is no water left in the machine.
- Ensure that all power hoses and power cords are safely secured once the washing machine is dry. Make sure all the wires are secured properly.
- Clean the interior and exterior of the washing machine with a dry cloth.
- If the washing machine has any special parts, pack it separately. Furthermore, check if your washing machine came with a pair of transportation rods. These rods immobilize the drum, preventing it from moving during transport. Read the instruction manual carefully for clear instructions.
- Once you have secured all the parts, cover the washing machine with a furniture blanket or a moving blanket. We suggest you tape the blanket in place to prevent it from moving.
- Move the packed washing machine onto a dolly and transport it away from your house.
How to Move a Smart Home Systems
A smart home automation system is one of the most resourceful items you can own for your house today. Here’s are some important tips for moving home systems:
- Start by making a list of all the home automation devices you have at home. You will also need to compile relevant pertinent information such as user manuals and customer support numbers. Doing so will eliminate the chances of accidentally missing a device that would need to be disconnected or uninstalled. Since automation devices don’t take up much room, it would be wise to pack all of them in a special box.
- Be sure to disable all systems. This step is important as it will safeguard your personal information.
- In case you are planning on leaving the smart devices, don’t forget to reset it to factory details. This will allow the new tenants to set up the devices themselves when they move in. Also, don’t forget to inform device vendors of your plan to move. You will also have to get the user manuals safe for the new owners.
How to Move a Smart Stove
Getting ready to move a smart stove or oven? We’ll be honest, handling gas and electric appliances can be very dangerous, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. When in doubt, hire a professional to take the job off your hands.
- Disconnect the power cord and tape the cord at the back of the stove.
- Make sure to remove any kinds of detachable pieces such as cooking sheets or racks. These would have to be packed separately.
- If there is a glass section, handle it with care and tape it with a sheet of bubble wrap to be careful.
- Wrap the stove/oven with a large furniture/moving blanket and secure it with furniture straps.
- Load it safely on the dolly and load it on the moving vehicle.
As we have already mentioned before, don’t step near the gas supply. Instead, hire a professional once you have reached your new home to reconnect the stove.
This detailed guide must be an integral part of your new home or new apartment move-in checklist. We understand that home technology can add value to your home. And because these automation devices are expensive, we would like to help you move them in the best possible way. Don’t hesitate to call a professional in case you want the job done effortlessly. This will also save you the trouble of a sore back afterward!