Recently, I got into the process of replacing my laptop’s battery to get a new one since it went completely dead. But I wondered whether my laptop would work in the meantime when I don’t have a battery installed in it.
So out of curiosity, I did some research and here’s what I’ve learned. Will a laptop work without a battery?
As a general rule, almost all laptops should work without a battery if you have the power adapter connected to it. However, turning off the power will cause the laptop to get switched off automatically without being properly shut down, as there would be no power backup in the laptop after removing the battery.
Keep reading till the end to find out more about what happens if you use your laptop without a battery, the advantages and disadvantages of this situation, and whether it is safe or not. Without further ado let’s get started.
Why A Laptop Can Work Without A Battery?
Now before we dive in to discuss more on what happens if we use the laptop without a battery and all other related topics, let’s first explore why a laptop can actually work even without its battery installed.
So, if you understand the basics of how a laptop is powered up and specifically understand the power management of a laptop, then you will get a clear picture of why a laptop can work without its battery.
To learn about the battery and power management in your laptop, follow these steps:
- Locate the search bar at the bottom of your laptop (assuming windows Operating System) and type “device manager”.
- Once you notice the device manager from the available options, click on it and a popup window will open.
- Find the listing of Batteries in the device manager and open it
- Now you will see two drivers with the following names:
- Microsoft AC Adapter: It refers to the driver controlling the power source from your AC adapter which you actually plugin to the power outlet.
- Microsoft ACPI – Compliant Control Method Battery: It refers to the driver controlling the power when the computer is using the battery. It gives to the OS the required management of the connected battery.
Now you will see that both the “Microsoft AC Adapter” and the “Microsoft ACPI – Compliant Control Method Battery” are two distinct drivers in the device manager. And your laptop can use either one as a source of power.
Now, wait, our concept of whether your laptop can work without a battery hasn’t been proved yet. To do it you have to continue from the previously mentioned step of when you have opened the battery listing and two options are shown.
- Right-click on the Microsoft ACPI – Compliant Control Method Battery
- The following are the available options. You can select the disable device option:
- Update driver
- Disable device
- Uninstall device
- Scan for hardware changes
- Once you select that option, you will notice that the battery icon is disappeared from the taskbar.
- It actually means that Windows software and your laptop now no longer recognize that there is a battery installed in your laptop and it is purely using the Microsoft AC Adapter for power. This in turn means that your laptop is working assuming that there is no battery connected. Thus, our concept is proved that the laptop can actually work even without a battery.
- Now you can go back and enable the Microsoft ACPI – Compliant Control Method Battery
- After you enabled it and once you refresh, you will once again notice the battery icon at the taskbar and it getting charged again.
Not interested to do all these steps on your own? No problem, you can watch this video in which all the above-mentioned things are discussed:
What Happens If I Use My Laptop Without Battery?
Using a laptop without a battery won’t cause any issues and in most cases, the laptop will work perfectly fine provided that the power adapted is connected to the laptop appropriately.
However, if the plug becomes loose even slightly the laptop will turn off automatically, thus posing risk to file damage and maybe to the internal components.
Advantages of Using Laptop Without Battery:
- Using the laptop without a battery can help in preventing the device from getting damaged from a malfunctioning battery.
- Removing the battery can help in preventing the battery from getting overheated and prolongs its life (although newer laptops ensure that charging stops when the battery is full).
Disadvantages of Using Laptop Without Battery:
- You will be missing your battery which could have served as a built-in backup power source at the time of power fluctuations and outages.
- You can no longer use your laptop while you are not connected to any power source.
- A loose connection in the connected charging cable, even a slight one, can cause the laptop to turn off abruptly thus potentially causing the risk of damage to internal components and data loss.
- When your battery is not there then the battery slot will remain empty and thus the chance of accident increases where you could touch the exposed battery pins.
- Storing the battery for a very long time without charging might actually cause it to deteriorate.
Is It Safe To Use Your Laptop Without Battery?
In general, it is safe to use a laptop without its battery as long as the power adapter cable is connected securely and other precautionary measures are taken. This however should be a temporary short-term situation.
How To Use Your Laptop Safely Without A Battery?
- Make sure that the charging cable and the power adapter is connected properly and intact. Even a slightly loose connection can cause your laptop to turn off automatically without being shut down properly. This can result in loss of data and also may damage the internal components (motherboard, CPU, RAM etc).
- Always stay away from the battery slots and never ever touch the battery pin slots when the laptop is turned on because it can cause a health hazard and may result in a short circuit.
- Try to use the adapter that originally came with your laptop device to reduce the effect of power variations.
- Use a power backup device or a UPS especially if you live in an area where frequent power outages occur.
In short, yes, your laptop will work even without a battery. And though running it without a battery has few advantages, it is not recommended to use your laptop without a battery for the long term because there are far more disadvantages.
For a temporary period when you don’t have any battery installed in your laptop, it can be perfectly fine to use your laptop as long as you take proper precautions, especially the ones I discussed already with you in this article. That’s it! Hope this helps! Thanks.