If you want to send a text message to someone without revealing your identity, these anonymous messaging services are for you! You can create a new phone number, send anonymous texts, make calls, share files, and then burn it right after.
Nobody can trace an anonymous text back to you if you know which platform is the most secure and safest for the job.
In this article we’ll discuss and describe several proven ways to send an anonymous text message, so let’s see them below.
5 Ways to Send an Anonymous Text Message
There are lots of ways to get a message across anonymously. You can download a secondary phone number app, get a VoIP texting service, or text privately from your email account and cut out the middleman.
We can show you five ways to send an anonymous text from your computer, cell phone, email account, open-source software, Burner app, and website. Make sure to keep reading!
1) Anonymous Texting from iOS and Android Apps
Texting anonymously starts with owning a disposable phone number. It works whether or not you have a cell phone plan. Anonymous texting services can be billed against your plan. Or you can buy credits to make cheap private calls.
For iOS Devices:
- Select a second phone number app on your iPhone. The best iPhone apps for sending anonymous text messages include Text Free, TextPlus, Pinger, Burner, and Wickr.
- Install the anonymous texting app. For this, you have to visit the iOS App Store and find the app by searching for it in the search bar. Tap Get.
- The App Store will show a pop-up that asks you to confirm your Apple ID password. Fill it out and then press OK.
- Once the anonymous messaging app has finished downloading, open the app. We’re using Wickr for reference.
- Select Sign Up to create an account with Wickr or any Burner phone number app in the same process.
- Fill out the necessary fields. Choose a unique username that doesn’t hint at your name and identity.
- In order to send your message, simply write it down in the anonymous texting app and not your phone’s main messaging service. Enter the recipient’s phone number and hit Send!
Make sure that the app doesn’t share your email and other personal information that could identify you with other users.
If you’re an Android user, you can find a bunch of second phone number apps in the Play Store.
- To send text messages anonymously from an Android phone, head over to the Play Store and choose one. You can open an account with Text Me, CoverMe, Hushed, and similar apps for anonymously texting someone’s number.
- Check the pricing for sending anonymous texts, privacy features, encryption, call forwarding, and other options before you download.
- Install the app on your phone. For reference, we used Anonytext. It’s a secure platform that lets you text a person’s phone number and chat with strangers without letting anyone know who you are.
- Tap the New Stranger option to begin chatting. Now, type in the person’s phone number and compose your text. Hit Send from the bottom-right corner of your screen. The message will reach your contact’s phone instantly!
Sideline has more than 30 thousand five-star reviews on Google Play Store. It keeps your second phone number, calls, texts, and logs completely separate from your main number.
You can pick a random phone number, enjoy good coverage, and protect your identity in the most secure way possible.
2) Send Anonymous Messages Via Second Phone Number Apps
You can send anonymous texts from a second phone number app on the internet. All you need is the recipient’s phone number and area code to get started.
Some of these apps allow you to own multiple numbers at a time. You can own a real US phone number and text anonymously.
Best Apps for Anonymous Texting:
Anonymous texting is useful when you put something up on Craigslist and don’t want to give your phone number to random strangers. Burner apps allow you to send anonymous texts from a second number – often free of cost!
This is the most popular app for calling and texting from a secondary phone number anywhere in the US or Canada. Burner provides a random phone number with a local area code.
You can use this handy app to make calls, send voicemails, photos, and messages, and then destroy the number whenever you want.
Users can link Burner to Slack, Evernote, SoundCloud, and DropBox when they’re hunting jobs or meeting up with Tinder dates.
Burner calls appear on your phone bill as calls made between the fake number and personal number. You only need a Wi-Fi connection to text someone.
This is a popular Android app for sending anonymous texts to over 200 destinations in the world. It gives you a valid phone number that you can use and burn immediately.
Text Me doesn’t show up on your phone bill or eat into your prepaid minutes. Texts and calls can be made through Wi-Fi without having a cellphone plan.
You can set up the new phone number and send texts to outside US numbers with Text Me credits. Free texting is limited to the US and Canada.
It comes with all the features that your personal number has, such as call forwarding, voicemails, GPS location, message preview, call and text filtering, group messaging, and video calling.
If you don’t want to take chances with anonymous texting and want an extra layer of privacy, you can try CoverMe. The app offers military-grade encryption and stores all media files inside a private vault.
CoverMe doesn’t save your chats, call history, photos, and videos on their server. They’re stored locally on your mobile device and password-protected at all times.
You can download CoverMe from Google Play Store and App Store for free. It provides phone numbers from the US, UK, Canada, Mexico, and China.
This anonymous texting platform is quite like Burner, except it can provide phone numbers for 40 different countries.
Hushed is more economical for sending anonymous text messages on a daily basis. The main advantage of Hushed is that it doesn’t spend your minutes.
Unlike Burner and other paid anonymous texting apps, Hushed uses Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP). Therefore, it runs on Wi-Fi and mobile data.
3) Use Website to Send Anonymous Messages
It’s possible to send text messages anonymously with the help of a website. There are a few websites that offer untraceable private text messaging services.
Anonymous Text is used all over the world as it helps users connect to someone’s phone number without a cell phone. You can follow these steps to send an anonymous message from a website:
- Go to anonymoustext.com
- As you can see from the Sender drop-down, you can choose how the text appears on the reader’s phone. You can choose Anonymous or any of the two US or UK phone numbers from the list.
- Type in the receiver’s phone number in the designated area. Remember to add the right country code.
- Enter your message in the text box. You can send a text message up to 1224 characters immediately. Or choose to Send Later to select the exact date and time of when the person receives your message.
- Click Continue, and pay for your text. You can choose any payment method, including PayPal, Google Pay, Apple Pay, or by credit card. The price of a single text starts from $1.25.
4) Send Anonymous Text Messages Via Email
In anonymous texting, you want to keep your identity hidden at all costs. There’s a surprisingly easy way to text without blowing your cover. This guide will help you send anonymous messages to someone’s phone number from your email.
Step 1: Create a New Email Account
In order to stay anonymous, you should create a new email address. Create a fresh account without adding any of your personal information such as name, address, and work.
Just to be safe, don’t use your personal email to send messages because the recipient may use it to look you up. You can open one with Google, Yahoo, GMX Mail, Zoho, and any provider of your choice.
Step 2: Collect the Recipient’s Phone Number
You need to have the person’s phone number to send them an anonymous text message. Don’t worry; the text won’t be sent from your personal cell phone number. You just need their number to move forward. The entire process can be done from your email account.
Step 3: Find Out the Person’s Cell Phone Carrier
Once you have the phone number of the person who’s going to receive the anonymous text, discover their mobile carrier.
Most carriers in the USA and Canada have an option to test the user’s number from an email. Verizon Wireless, T Mobile, AT&T, Metro PCS, Sprint, and other popular cell phone carriers currently feature this amazing option.
What if you can’t find what carrier they use? In that case, you can browse free carrier lookup tools such as Dexatel, TextMagic, or IMEI. One particularly popular and free website for looking up carriers of any US phone number is https://www.carrierlookup.com/.
Step 4: Merge Your Contact’s Number with Their Carrier E-mail
Now that you have the phone carrier and number, combine them to compose a carrier email address. It’s a simple process, and it allows you to reach their phone without using a phone number that could eventually be traced back to you!
The best part? When you send an email to this address, it reaches the person’s phone directly, not their email. To do this, you have to start with the 10-digit phone number without hyphens and then complete it using the following templates:
SMS: [email protected]
MMS: [email protected]
SMS: [email protected]
MMS: [email protected]
SMS/MMS: [email protected]
SMS: [email protected]
MMS: [email protected]
SMS/MMS: [email protected]
Step 5: Compose an Email from Your New Email Account
At this point, you have all the information you need for sending someone anonymous text messages. Log on to your email account and write your message.
Enter the person’s valid phone number and email template from step 4 (no hyphens and spaces) in the recipient’s box.
To make your email look like an actual message, leave the subject line blank. You can add multiple images and up to 40 seconds of video in the MMS format. Hit Send, and that’s how you send anonymous texts free of cost.
5) Anonymous Texting from VoIP Phone Numbers
Are you worried that an outsider might be spying on your conversation? It’s possible in the present day and time. So, if your main concern is keeping your chats protected from all kinds of surveillance, you can use these mobile apps.
They keep your conversations end-to-end encrypted, which include texts, audio clips, files, photos, and videos.
Threema: Secret Texting and Calling
Sending an anonymous text is the easiest with Threema. It accommodates two kinds of anonymity. You can use a Threema ID, an identifier that contains random characters, instead of your phone number, email, or any identifiable information.
Attaching personal information to your Threema ID is optional. Therefore, nobody can trace calls and texts back to you.
Threema is also a privacy-oriented messaging platform for businesses. It’s an open-source app where all your conversations have end-to-end encryption. You can send unlimited anonymous messages for only $2.05 per month.
Linphone: Encrypted VoIP
If you want to send an anonymous text from a mobile device or a laptop, you can consider this cross-platform VoIP service.
Linphone offers end-to-end encryption that allows you to reach the recipient’s phone number without detection.
It’s a secure open-source platform for text messaging, sending pictures, and video-conferencing. Linphone is now available for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Signal: Safe and Secure Communication
This is another one of our favorite open-source anonymous texting apps. It protects your information from Internet service providers, malicious government bodies, and conversation trackers.
Like WhatsApp, Signal features end-to-end encrypted messaging. Not even Signal can decipher your shared media, voice notes, and texts, which makes it a reliable platform for private texting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I see the reply of a person I am anonymously texting?
Yes, a few apps allow you to see the reply of the person you’re texting anonymously. Use TextForFree, SMSflick, Burner, Sharpmail, or AnonyText to receive replies to your private messages.
Will a reverse phone lookup trace my anonymous number back to me?
A reverse phone lookup has a thin chance of tracing a burner phone number. It can’t pinpoint your address or your name if you used a solid second phone number app and burned the number immediately afterward.
Now you know how to send an anonymous text message easily from a mobile app, email account, and website.
Make sure not to send messages anonymously for illegal activities or anything other than privacy concerns and harmless pranking. If you receive an anonymous text yourself, don’t click on any links. Thanks for reading!