Still undecided regarding what device you should take with you for that all-important business trip?
That’s totally understandable because both tablets and laptops are highly capable devices that deliver high-performance features for your work needs and everyday enjoyment.
The laptop vs. tablet matchup may seem neck and neck, but once you reach the end of our article, a WINNER will come out on top!
Table of Contents
- What Is a Laptop Computer?
- What Is a Tablet?
- Laptop vs. Tablet: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Are There Any Similarities Among the Two Devices?
- So Who Wins the Tablet vs. Laptop Matchup?
What Is a Laptop Computer?
First and foremost, let’s talk about this ‘ol reliable device.
The laptop remains one of the gold standards when it comes to technological inventions and advancements in the computing world.
Think of it as a portable version of your desktop. Still not convinced? Here’s a real-life example to give you a clearer picture.
Let’s say you have an urgent conference to attend from the other side of the planet.
Do you think your heavy desktop computer will fit in that briefcase? That includes the screen and the wires, mind you.
You won’t have to worry about logistic concerns with the laptop because of how LIGHTWEIGHT it is. The portable computer can easily fit in your briefcase and backpack.
Anything Else I Should Expect?
Just like desktop computers, laptop models offer the following ports and peripherals:
- USB and HDMI ports
- Audio speakers
- Slots for memory cards
- Ethernet network port
- WiFi connection
Laptop devices may be slightly less powerful than desktops, but the many benefits laptops offer outweigh this lone factor.
- Convenient physical keyboard for word processing
- Big screen (Average size: 15.6″)
- Essential cooling components: internal fans, heat sinks, air ventilation.
- Easy-to-use Operating System and software (Windows, macOS, Linux)
- Multiple USB ports, memory card readers, and ethernet cable port
- Expensive price point
- Screens can be prone to shock damage
- Laptops hardware requires frequent upgrades
- Maintenance and repair can be expensive
What Is a Tablet?
Now, let’s talk about the tablet!
If in the past you needed a mouse and keyboard to do your daily tasks, the tablet DOES NOT require you to use any of these accessories.
The portable device utilizes a TOUCHSCREEN for your typing needs.
It is worth mentioning that the tablet’s user interface is a whole different animal compared to the laptop’s desktop format.
The latter requires you to double-click an icon to open a program. With tablets, all you have to do is tap on an application ONCE, and you’re ALL SET!
Any Other Eye-Popping Features?
Most tablets are compatible with multitouch input, a feature that allows you to do the following actions with your bare fingers:
- Zooming in and out of a picture
- Typing with a pop-up keyboard
We can’t recall many laptops pulling these tricks up their sleeves. You can’t go wrong with choosing a tablet in terms of touch features.
- 8-10 battery life with LOW POWER CONSUMPTION feature
- Convenient mobile operating systems (iOS and Android)
- More lightweight than most laptops
- High resolution for both the front and rear camera
- Compatible with your SIM card for cell network connectivity
- Multifunctional device (GPS navigator, E-book alternative, virtual drawing pad, etc.)
- Touch keyboard can be unresponsive
- Repairs can be complex and complicated
- Storage capacity can be limited
- NO high-quality cooling system
- Lower performing processors
Laptop vs. Tablet: A Side-by-Side Comparison
The tablet vs. laptop matchup is basically Steph Curry vs. LeBron James. Don’t worry, non-basketball fans, allow us to explain this analogy.
On the one hand, the laptop is a well-established device, similar to how LeBron is still one of the best NBA players despite his age.
On the other hand, the tablet is a fairly new device that entered the scene in the 2010s.
It has changed the way we see and utilize technology the same way Steph changed the game of basketball forever.
Let’s see how those 2 devices stack up against one another. Fasten your seatbelts and get your popcorn ready for technology’s FIGHT of the CENTURY!
Quick question: Can you see yourself carrying a bunch of heavy stuff en route to the airport?
Unless you want to give yourself an extra workout session before boarding the plane, we’re certain you want to head to your destination HASSLE-FREE.
Thankfully, tablets and laptops cater to everyday movers with their portable size and slim composition.
Here are the average weights of both devices:
- Laptop: 2-8 pounds
- Tablet:5-1.5 pounds
In terms of screen size, laptops have larger screens compared to their tablet counterpart.
- Laptop: 12-21 inches
- Tablet: 5-14 inches
Both put up a great effort when it comes to standing out in this department, but one device clearly excels over the other.
The WINNER Is: Tablet
Lighter weight and smaller size are NOT the ONLY FACTORS that help the tablet emerge ON TOP.
Many tablets can easily fit ANY BAG – backpacks, messenger bags, Gucci bags, you name it.
You can try fitting your laptop in these bags, but it may require EXTRA PADDING to avoid breakages.
It also does not help that the laptop has a LARGER SCREEN size. You might encounter some difficulties while packing up for that business trip.
When it comes to the tablet, you can slip it into the bag, and you’ll hardly feel a thing. You can even add a sleeve or cover for extra protection.
Next up is storage capacity. Basically, you want this department to be the EXACT OPPOSITE of the first category in terms of size.
Simply put, the BIGGER the storage, the BETTER!
As of today, most average tablets have internal storage of 8 GB to 256 GB. The MORE UPDATED models are capable of storing around 512 GB to 1 TB.
Worried that these numbers are not enough to store your images and saved videos?
Fear not because microSD memory cards are here to save the day! These tiny chips range from about 1 GB to 1TB worth of additional external storage.
If we take a look at the laptop’s storage size, cheaper laptops boast these humongous averages:
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD) – 1TB
- Solid State Drive (SSD) – 512 GB
External storage WON’T be a problem with laptops. In fact, you have MORE OPTIONS besides the microSD card. Take a look at these methods to see how limitless your choices are:
- External hard drives and external SSDs connected via USB
- Upgradable internal storage
The WINNER Is: Laptop
The tablet may have won the portability duel by a narrow margin, but laptops dominate the storage battle by A LANDSLIDE!
The size, capacity, and speed easily outclass even the most updated and brand-new tablets. The additional choices in terms of external storage helped laptops get this bread!
Sorry tablets, but you can’t win ’em all.
Ah yes, low battery power, aka EVERYONE’S WORST NIGHTMARE!
Imagine your device randomly shutting down in the middle of your thesis presentation. Wouldn’t that scare you to death?
Let’s take a look at how the two devices fare when it comes to battery life.
If you are a laptop user, expect your charger to get busy due to the 2-6-hour average.
For its part, tablets consume LESS battery power, giving you longer battery life (8-12 hours to be exact).
There are a couple of reasons why this is so:
- Laptop CPUs are MORE power-hungry than tablet CPUs.
- Tablets generate LESS heat.
- Mobile operating systems (iOS and Android) are optimized and highly functional.
The WINNER Is: Tablet
This mismatch clearly favors the tablet. Unlike laptops, tablets can last longer without any adjustments whatsoever.
However, this does not mean you can’t lengthen the battery life of your laptop. You can always activate power-saving mode or reduce the brightness level.
These may be a hassle for you, though. You won’t have to consider any of these techniques when using a tablet.
Operating Systems and Professional Software
The tablet vs. laptop battle DOES NOT only boil down to who has the more powerful hardware and good-looking appearance.
You also have to pay close attention to the software. Think of it as the heart and soul of your device!
We won’t go in-depth with each device’s operating system, but here’s a quick rundown to give you a better perspective.
- Tablet: iOS and Android
- Laptop: Windows, macOS, and Linux
To cut the long story short, tablets operate with a MORE CONVENIENT mobile operating system, but laptops utilize a MORE POWERFUL desktop operating system.
The WINNER Is: Laptop
Tablets may be easier to use because of their simple software, but it has its set of limitations.
The laptop takes home the victory because its superior operating system offers a wider range of options and features.
Unless you have hybrid devices (laptop and tablet COMBINED), we’re not sure if you can run software programs like Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop on your tablet.
How can the modern-day human being function in today’s society without stable Internet access?
Unless you are an old soul that can listen to cassette tapes and watch television all day, we all need to stay CONNECTED ONLINE 24/7!
The tablet and laptop won’t let you down in terms of connectivity, thanks to the following similarities and unique features.
Both possess Bluetooth and Wi-Fi abilities, thus enabling wireless connectivity.
In terms of the wired connection, the features start to differ.
For laptops, here’s what you’ll be working with:
- USB 3.0 port
- USB C-ports for the more high-end laptops
- Analog audio connections
- HDMI port
You can ALSO install a wired connection to your tablet because they have the following ports:
- USB C-Port
- Lightning connector (for Apple users)
- Micro USB (for Android users)
The WINNER Is: TIE
It’s so hard to pick a consensus winner due to the similarities and differences.
Therefore, it is safe to say for us to declare a TIE for this category. To give you an easier time deciding, it would be a great idea to ask yourself:
Which one of these caters to my needs the most? Tablets or Laptops?
Are you a fan of playing games online with your friends? If gaming is your niche, you may want to stick around for this next section.
Tablets offer augmented reality, a set of virtual layers that simulate real-world settings.
Another advantage the tablet has is its vibration feedback. These help you become more immersed and engaged when playing your mobile games.
It may be fun to play casual games on your tablet, but laptops and PC monitors contain better graphics, storyline, and gameplay.
Even if you don’t have the most high-end laptop model, it still has a higher processing power than most tablets.
Many modern gaming laptops have powerful components that take your gaming experience to another level. Some examples of these components are:
- Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU
- HDMI 1.3 port
The Winner Is: Laptop
Tablets are ONLY MEANT for casual gaming, while laptops are for those who want to try their luck at becoming a professional gamer.
We believe the laptop is the better choice in this category.
Are There Any Similarities Among the Two Devices?
Amidst the differences, most of your favorite high-end tablets are SIMILAR to traditional laptops and mobile devices because they offer the same benefits. These include:
- Casual web surfing thanks to the Wi-Fi
- Watching videos in HD
- Conducting video calls via Zoom, Discord, etc.
- Checking social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Indeed, these computing devices allow you to enjoy these activities Whenever, Wherever! Apparently, Shakira agrees with us.
So Who Wins the Tablet vs. Laptop Matchup?
This battle is as close as the NBA Finals of the 1980s between the Lakers and Celtics.
Tablets and laptops are the creams of the crop when it comes to the realm of compute mobility. We can’t imagine how our world will continue to modernize without these inventions.
After carefully considering the benefits, drawbacks, and differences, we will have to give the narrow victory to the LAPTOP!
It is a COMPLETE device that offers sufficient room for storage, a well-detailed operating system, and state-of-the-art gaming features that will blow your mind.
We may have announced our victor, but we are not FORCING you to pick it. There are special instances when you should buy tablets over laptops, and vice versa.
Buy Laptops IF…
- You are a fan of PC gaming.
- Your work requires editing text and encoding audio and video content.
- You need more storage for your pictures, videos, and heavy files).
- You are searching for an all-in-one and family-friendly device.
- You do a lot of professional work such as using Excel, presentation software etc.
Buy Tablets IF…
- You are ONLY doing casual activities (watching videos, playing mobile games, etc.).
- You are looking for a CHEAPER option (Tablets are relatively cheaper than laptops).
- You are involved in the INDUSTRIAL field (house technician, restaurant waiter, etc.).
We hope you had fun taking a look at this head-to-head matchup between the laptop and tablet.
It will come down to the needs you have to address and personal choice, so don’t forget to CHOOSE WISELY!
- 17 Best Operating Systems (OS) for Raspberry Pi 4, 3
- What is the Difference between CPU and GPU in Computers
- 10 Best Power Supply Unit (PSU) Brands for PC Computers
- 13 Different Types of Storage Devices and Disk Drives Used in Computer Systems
- The 15 Best Audio Speaker Brands in the World – Top Quality Speaker Companies